November 17, 2009

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step….

.... but a journey of 11,066 miles begins with a long-ass, red-eye fight to Panama City! After almost 24 hours of traveling, I arrived in Buenos Aires and my Argentinean adventure begins!


Tonight I enjoyed the summer breeze (yes, it’s summer here!!) at a cafĂ© in downtown Lobos. People in their cars cruised on the dirt roads (again and again – apparently “cruising” is a pretty popular past-time), kids rode by on bicycles (everyone stays up very late in Argentina – kids included) and dogs lay on the sidewalk, waiting for someone to toss them a snack (I’m always impressed when I see fat, lazy street dogs, and these perros were fatter than my dog!)


About 10 minutes outside of town, off a dirt road, was my friends’ farm – Las Nenas (the Little Fillies). When I got out of the car, I was greeted by an army of dogs – 16 to be specific. My friends have a tendency to take the “worst case” pups off the streets and give them a safe haven at Las Nenas. I am also impressed when I meet street dogs (even reformed street dogs) who are better behaved than most of the dogs I know in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment