January 1, 2010

a different sort of New Year celebration

Here's an equation for the New Year:

+ 40 degree F (4.5 degrees C for my metric friends) air temp in Coney Island, NYC
+ 39 degree F Atlantic Ocean water (4 degrees for the metric folk)
+ a few thousand people
- sanity
- dry clothes
* the Coney Island Polar Bear club's Annual Polar Bear Plunge Swim
__________________________________________________________________

(scroll down for the answer)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

= HOW ADRIEN RINGS IN THE NEW YEAR!!


It's not as cold as it looks, I swear!!!! For EC and all the Animal Balance folks who had to suffer through my complaints of no hot showers... this was actually BETTER than the cold showers of Cabrera and San Cristobal!! Which makes me wonder where they get that water for the showers? Is there a glacier in the Galapagos I don't know about?

I've always wanted to try the "polar plunge", so this year seemed like a good enough time as any! I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions, so this year, I just plan to keep living life to the fullest and continue to do those crazy things that scare me (like jumping into 40 degree water, retaking the GRE exam, you know... the usual)

More photos can be found in my Picasa albums here

What's next? Hmmmm..... let me think for a sec.... maybe that 10 K swim I've been putting off for all these years?

Now, c'mon!!! Don't you just wish you were there??

No comments:

Post a Comment